Are you fit?

 

One Friday, per month – we have a fun game at my work place. During one of those games, I had a rude awakening! The game was very simple. Group of us had to form a circle facing outwards, sit in point A and then when the buzzer goes off, get up, and run as a group without breaking circle to point B. When the other team did this, it looked so easy. But when my team’s turn came, even before I got up, I was dragged by others who got up quickly to point B. Even though all of us were laughing and moved to next game, I was ashamed at myself for not getting up quickly. I kept wondering how since, I am not a lethargic person or overweight.

I did quite a bit of introspection and I realized that I was simply not fit. Which means I had to do something to make my body fitter.

I used to be very skinny and people would always admonish me to gain weight! Recently I had gain weight and looked healthier and it did surprise people who have seen me in skinnier side.

Now I had a mission to be fitter. But then as any other normal human being, biggest challenge is how and where to start. I had realized earlier that somehow these classes in morning or evening(yoga)just didn’t work for me due to timing constraints. I have never seen myself as a gym person so that overruled it.

I finally decided I had to do something at home only. Every morning for 20-30 mins I started doing yoga, which I had learnt earlier). As expected, there were days I missed doing yoga due to some extra work at home or leaving early for office etc. But somehow the days were passing but not much difference.

Then pandemic hit, lockdowns started!

Being stuck inside the 4 walls (not literally but you get the drift) and work which keeps us in front of laptop for 9+ hours, I got worried about my health and fitness.

2 groups came as a savior. The 1st group which initiated this whole fitness regime and 2nd group which ensured I continue daily, totally encouraging and giving tips/challenges etc.

During one of the team calls, 1 colleague mentioned that fitness is going for a toss and we should do something about it. From there, we quickly formed a group and gave ourselves 45 days health challenge where we had to do any exercise and update the group. I started the challenge with daily walks, then added yoga as alternates to walking and then getting cues from other’s exercises added some cardio.

I started posting this to my closest group of girl gang. Now this gang, had another forum to discuss on fitness which earlier I had ignored thinking I would never need it. Once these girls realized that I have also started getting into fitness, they pulled me into the forum. In this forum, we share our every day routine, short videos for others to check and give us feedback, motivate each other and learn from each other.

Even after 45 days challenge got over with my teammates, my girls gang continued and ensured my fitness didn’t stop. There are days when I don’t have the inclination to do anything, but just to update this group I force myself to do minimum 5 mins if nothing else.

In these last 3-4 months, I have learnt a lot on fitness and different exercises. I don’t do too heavy stuff. I just pick up which I feel confident and start doing. My challenges have included – 1000 Reps, 108 Suryanamaskaar. 


Even though I am not closer to anything on fitness expert or something, I definitely feel healthier now and fitter than what I was in the beginning of the year!

And three cheers to girls gangs across, who are a blessing for each woman! 

What have you been doing for your fitness?

 

 

 

Comments

Aiswarya said…
Very true Sound. Sometimes we ignore such small clues given by our body. Glad we have a group to push us and keep us motivated. Hats off to your perseverance and dedication.
Anuradha said…
Loved this sound and you know how well it resonates with all of us. Thanks to dedicated people like you we all get motivated to get going :D
Rajlakshmi said…
Loved our dynamic group of girls. It keeps me motivated too. Loved reading about your journey sound. And you are totally nailing it like a boss.

Popular posts from this blog

Twins!!

The First Few Days In Cognizant

Acquainted Love - Part 3