Describe About Yourself


If you are preparing for your campus interview or any job interview, this is one question that you are very familiar with. “Describe About Yourself”!

I’ve always wondered how interviewers are going to judge a person with this question. I got many theories from various sources for this, as to why this question is asked. Well, I’ll put this case to rest here, as the interviewers only have to deal with the outcome of this question.

But what is more baffling is the kind of preparation that is done by many for this question.
I’ve seen people mugging, what is believed to be a standard format of answer, for this question.


With a high number of campus placements going on ,a number of placement institutes are being run to guide a person on how to master aptitude tests, how to face group discussion & interviews. I myself attended 10-days course in one of these institutes 2 years ago, just for the sake of attending it as it was arranged through college.
I was surprised with the way they were teaching students to answer interview questions. It was some kind of standard format only they were teaching. Students too, without thinking, just accept it and practice it.

For example – my name is so-so coming from so-so place, doing so-so course, hobbies so-so, details about parents etc. this whole detail they tell in a stretch and that’s the answer to the question (this is one of the type of answers I’ve seen people reciting, there are other types also!).

I agree that some preparation need to be done before attending an interview but to prepare answers to questions like this (which is similar to how it’s done for theory exams) is an extreme.
This is like you don’t know about yourself and want someone to tell you how to answer it!!

I’ve heard a lot about employers complaining that, though there are lots of jobs available, but they are not able to find proper candidates for it. I am not surprised by this, if the kind of preparation for interviews is done like this!!!

Well finally my answer to this question if asked!!
Personally, I see this question as a good opportunity to present myself in a nice manner to my interviewer and to make a good impression on him/her. And my answer will vary each time someone asks me!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twins!!

The First Few Days In Cognizant

Acquainted Love - Part 3