A Trial - Belief!

 A TRIAL

Scene 1 - Two law associates are talking at the corridor of a long court room halls.

Pranav: Where are you heading Sam?

Samantha: Court room 5, of course! Don’t you remember Pranav? Today is the trial day for Vikash. The driver who ruthlessly killed that poor little girl Sabani.

Pranav: That was such a tragedy right! We have come across so many cases, but this was brutal. We believe these drivers, employ them and send kids. But, see what has come upon. It really troubles me.

Sam: Oh man! That’s true. I heard, he kept denying about committing the murder even after the Assistant Commissioner literally caved into him.

Pranav: Oh! You do have your sources (smirked Pranav). Since this is a pro-bono case, who has volunteered to represent Vikash?

Sam: Mr. Jaswesh Saini. Can you believe that?

Pranav: Wow! Really? Generally, he doesn’t encourage taking up cases where there is a chance of losing. This is clear cut case of murder for money.

Sam: Yeah that’s what I still don’t understand. How he took up this case.

Pranav: Guess he saw something that we all miss to see. He might spin some surprise at the hearing.
Sam: Whoa! Pranav, if we keep talking, they won’t let me in the courtroom. Judge Sophia is the honor today and you know her. She doesn’t entertain anyone after trial begins.

Pranav: Wait. I’m coming too. I really want to see the guy sentenced to death.

Scene 2 – Inside the courtroom

Speaker: Order order order.

Judge: The trail is about to begin. All of you take your seats and maintain silence. Public prosecutor, you may go ahead with your arguments.

Public Prosecutor (PP) - Thank you, my lord.

PP: My lord, is there at all anything to argue in this case? Mr.Vikash standing here in the box has murdered for money. As we all know, Sabani Mishra is the daughter of business tycoon Mr.Himesh Mishra. Vikash, being a man of poor means and a big family, knowing this fact started
to get close to Sabani and showered his affections on her. Sabani grew fond of him. The Mishras
believed in him and thought it was all in good faith. But, as the facts and several evidences that
we have furnished indicates, Vikash had planned the kidnapping of Sabani, due to denial of
money from Mishra, proceeded to kill her. He kidnapped her, acted as if he was hit from the back
and someone else kidnapped Sabani. Once the police got involved, he panicked and killed the
girl. That is all for now, my lord. I plead you to rule Vikash as guilty and bring justice to the
Mishras’.

Judge: Mr.Saini, you may now go ahead with your counter arguments.

Saini: Thank you, my lord. Firstly, I would like to call upon Mrs.Yuvathi Mishra to the witness
box.

Speaker: Yuvathi. Yuvathi. Yuvathi.

Saini: Yuvathi, do you know this guy?

Yuvathi: Yes sir. He is our driver. He takes Sabani to school every day. Also does odd jobs for us.
Saini: Alright. So how long has he been known to you?

Yuvathi: For two years now.

Saini: How did you come to know him?

Yuvathi: I got his details from Sabani’s classmates’ mother.

Saini: Good. So, did you trust him?

Yuvathi: Well, yes. He seemed decent and a known driver around the neighborhood.

Saini: Alright. What makes you sure that he only abducted and killed Sabani?

Yuvathi: Last week, he came to our house while dropping Sabani and asked for 1 lakh rupees. He
mentioned that his daughter was admitted in hospital and being treated for Leukemia.

Saini: Did you give him?

Yuvathi: No. I told him I can give him some money but not 1 lakh.

Saini: How did he react?

Yuvathi: (Getting emotional) He pleaded first and when I told him, we cannot give so much money
suddenly, he raised his voice and told that I will understand his pain only when I lose my
daughter and stomped off. I did not know; he would really do anything to my daughter! Then
that day, that day... she is kidnapped and we get the ransom call. We called the police to help but
then she is killed! (breaks down)

Saini: Thank you very much. One last question. How long has your maid been employed with
you?

Yuvathi: (looking surprised) Who Jhanvi? She has been with us for more than 1 year. She came with
excellent reference from my cousin.

Saini: Thank you. Your honor, now I would like to call upon the maid, Jhanvi.

Speaker: Jhanvi. Jhanvi. Jhanvi.

Saini: Jhanvi, how did you come to work at this house?

Jhanvi: Sir, I was in need of employment, when my uncle’s friend recommended me to madam.
Saini: Ok, tell me what happened on the day of tragedy.

Jhanvi: I got baby (Sabani) ready for school in the morning. Once she left for school, I finished
house chores, went to my house for lunch and then came back home before 3pm. That’s when
baby returns home. She did not come. The phone call came for ransom and I panicked and called
madam.

Saini: Who takes Sabani to school?

Jhanvi: (Pointing to Vikash) Vikash is the driver.

Saini: When you go to your home for lunch, who else is there at home?

Jhanvi: No one. I’m alone in the afternoon as my parents also go out to work.

Saini: Right.

Saini: (Looking at the judge) My Lord, I need permission to call another person as requested earlier
in my petition.

Judge looks at the petition and nods her head

Speaker: Bhola. Bhola. Bhola.

Jhanvi gasps and looks nervous. There is a commotion in the court room. A tall built man looking pale enters the courtroom and stands in the opposite side of the witness box.

Speaker: Order. Order. Order.

Saini: Jhanvi, do you know this person, Bhola?

Jhanvi: Shakes her head slowly.

Saini: Interesting, because Bhola tells me he is your husband!
Jhanvi: Closes her eyes.

Saini: Your honor, Bhola here is Jhanvi’s husband. He is a small-time crook and had just come
out of prison. Her family had disowned him after knowing this, but Jhanvi was in touch with him. I had hired a private detective to unearth things in this case which everyone overlooked. I personally know Vikash, so I was never convinced that he had committed the crime. But since
the fact that Sabani was last seen with Vikash outside the school before she went missing and he
was upset and had pressing financial needs, he was the 1st person to be accused and no one looked beyond him. Jhanvi here along with Bhola had similar financial issues. When she overheard the
last week’s conversation between Yuvathi and Vikash, she had told Bhola, and they came up with the plan to kidnap Sabani, demand ransom and put the blame on Vikash and run away with the money. But they did not expect Mishras’ to go to police and when Sabani also became tough to handle when they held her, they killed her. They had planted all the evidences against Vikash so that he will be caught and punished. The private investigator found Bhola yesterday only, and he has confessed to the crime.

Jhanvi starts to cry.

Judge: The court is adjourned for an hour. We shall have closing remarks and the judgement will be made.

Scene 3 – In the corridor

Huge commotion at the corridor.

Pranav: Sam, I really believed that Vikash abducted the girl for money. Who knew the maid would have done it!

Sam: Yes Pranav. I feel bad for Vikash. He had never done it, but since he was accused first, the whole world believed him to have been guilty even before he was pronounced guilty. This should teach us not to believe in everything till we get the facts and evidences right!

--xxx--

P.S - This post has been written in collaboration with a friend, Divya , as an entry to topic - Belief

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twins!!

The First Few Days In Cognizant

Run